Jessica Chopyk, PhD
Jessica Chopyk is a toxicologist with more than seven years of experience in microbiome, microbiology, and molecular science research designed to improve and protect public and environmental health. She has more than 20 peer-reviewed publications on microbial contaminants in human samples, irrigation water, traditional combustible and electronic cigarettes, cattle hides during commercial beef processing, and surfaces within a hospital ICU.
- Ph.D., Toxicology and Environmental Health, 2019, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- M.Sc., Plant and Soil Sciences, 2015, University of Delaware, Newark, DE
- B.Sc., Biology, 2013, University of Delaware, Newark, DE
Registrations & Certifications
- UCSD Rady School of Management MicroMBA
- L. Jiang, S. Lang, Y. Duan, X. Zhang, B. Gao, J. Chopyk, L.K. Schwanemann, M. Ventura Cots, R. Bataller, F. Bosques Padilla. E.C. Verna, J.G. Abraldes, R. Brown, V. Vargas, J. Altamirano, J. Caballeria, D. Shawcross, S.B. Ho, A. Louvet, M.R. Lucey, P. Mathurin, G. Garcia Tsao, T. Kisseleva, D.A. Brenner, X.M. Tu, P. Starkel, D.T. Pride, D. Fouts, B.Schnabl. 2020. Intestinal virome in patients with alcoholic hepatitis. Hepatology.
- J. Chopyk, K. Akrami, T. Bavly, J.H. Shin, L.K. Schwanemann, M. Ly, R. Kalia, Y. Xu, S.T. Kelley, A. Malhotra, F.J. Torriani, D.A. Sweeney, D.T. Pride. 2020. Temporal variations in bacterial community diversity and composition throughout intensive care unit renovations. Microbiome, 8, 86.
- A. Schulfer, T. Santiago-Rodriguez, M. Ly, J. Borin, J. Chopyk, M.J. Blaser, D.T. Pride. 2020. Fecal viral community responses to high fat diet in mice. mSphere, 00833-19.
- J. Chopyk D.J. Nasko, S. M. Allard, A. Bui, T.J. Treangen, M. Pop, E.F. Mongodin, A.R. Sapkota. 2020. Metagenomic analysis of bacterial and viral assemblages from a freshwater creek and irrigated field reveals temporal and spatial dynamics. Science of the Total Environment, 706, 135395.
- R. Vasudevan, J. Shin, J. Chopyk, W. Peacock, B. Taub, F. Torriani, A. Maisel, D.T. Pride. 2019. Aseptic Barriers Allow a Clean Contact for Contaminated Stethoscope Diaphragms. Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 4(1), 21-30.
- J. Chopyk D.J. Nasko, S. M. Allard, A. Bui, T.J. Treangen, M. Pop, E.F. Mongodin, A.R. Sapkota. 2019. Comparative metagenomic analysis of microbial taxonomic and functional variations in untreated surface and reclaimed waters used in irrigation applications. Water Research, 115250.
- E.G. Sakowski, G. Uritskiy, R. Cooper, M. Gomes, M.R. McLaren, J.S. Meisel, R.L. Mickol, C.D. Mintz, E.F. Mongodin, M. Pop, M.A. Rahman, A. Sanchez, W. Timp, J.D. Vela, C.M. Wolz, J.P. Zackular, J. Chopyk, S. Commichaux, M. Davis, D. Dluzen, S.M. Ganesan, M. Haruna, D.J. Nasko, M.J. Regan, S. Sarria, N. Shah, B. Stacy, D. Taylor, J. DiRuggiero, S.P Preheim. 2019. Current State of and Future Opportunities for Prediction in Microbiome Research: Report from the Mid-Atlantic Microbiome Meet-up in Baltimore on 9 January 2019. mSystems, e00392-19.
- E.M. Smyth, S. Chattopadhyay, J. Chopyk, L. Malayil, P. Kulkarni, L.E. Hittle, P.I. Clark, A.R. Sapkota, E.M. Mongodin. 2019. The Bacterial Communities of Little Cigars and Cigarillos Are Dynamic Over Time and Varying Storage Conditions. Frontiers in Microbiology, 10, 2371
- C.E. Jung, J. Chopyk, J. H. Shin, E.S. Lukacz, L. Brubaker, L.K. Schwanemann, A.J. Wolfe, R. Knight, D.T. Pride. 2019. Benchmarking urine storage and collection conditions for evaluating the female urinary microbiome. Scientific Reports, 9, 13409.
- G. Chandrabali, M. Ly, L.K. Schwanemann, J.H. Shin, K. Atabakhsh, J.J. Barr, M. Little, R.T. Schooley, J. Chopyk, D. T. Pride. 2019. The virome of cerebrospinal fluid: viruses where we once thought there were none. Frontiers in Microbiology, 10, 2061.
- J. Chopyk, P. Kulkarni, D.J. Nasko, R. Bradshaw, K.E. Kniel, P. Chiu, M. Sharma, A.R. Sapkota. 2018. Zero-valent iron sand filtration of reclaimed water reduces concentrations of virus-like particles and modifies virome community composition. BMC Research Note, 12.1, 223.
- S.M. Allard, M.T. Callahanb, A. Bui, A.M.C. Ferelli, J. Chopyk, S. Chattopadhyaya, E.F. Mongodin, S.A. Micallef, A.R. Sapkota. 2019. Creek to Table: Tracking fecal indicator bacteria, bacterial pathogens, and total bacterial communities, from irrigation water to kale and radish crops. Science of the Total Environment, 666, 461-471.
- D.J. Nasko, J. Chopyk, E.G. Sakowski, S.W. Polson, B.D. Ferrell, K.E. Wommack. 2018. Family A DNA polymerase phylogeny uncovers diversity and replication gene organization in the virioplankton. Frontiers in Microbiology, 9, 3053.
- J.S. Meisel, D.J. Nasko, B. Brubach, V. Cepeda-Espinoza, J. Chopyk, H. Corrada-Bravo, M. Fedarko et al. 2018. Current progress and future opportunities in applications of bioinformatics for biodefense and pathogen detection: report from the Winter Mid-Atlantic Microbiome Meet-up, College Park. Microbiome, 197.
- J. Chopyk, S. Allard, D.J. Nasko, A. Bui, E. F. Mongodin, A. R. Sapkota. 2018. Agricultural freshwater pond supports diverse and dynamic bacterial and viral populations. Frontiers in Microbiology, 9, 792.
- J. Chopyk, S. Chattopadhyay, P. Kulkarni, E.M. Smyth, L.E. Hittle, J.N. Paulson, M. Pop, S.S. Buehler, P.I. Clark, E.M. Mongodin, A.R. Sapkota. 2017. Temporal variations in cigarette tobacco bacterial community composition and tobacco-specific nitrosamine content are influenced by brand and storage conditions. Frontiers in Microbiology, 8, 358.
- J. Chopyk, S. Chattopadhyay, P. Kulkarni, E.M. Smyth, L.E. Hittle, E. Claye, K. Babik, R. Cruz-Cano, J.N. Paulson, M. Pop, S.S. Buehler, P.I. Clark, E.M. Mongodin, A.R. Sapkota. 2017. Mentholation affects the cigarette microbiota by selecting for bacteria resistant to harsh environmental conditions and selecting against potential bacterial pathogens. Microbiome, 5(1), p.22.
- J. Chopyk, R.M. Moore, Z. DiSpirito, Z.R. Stromberg, G.L. Lewis, D.G. Renter, N. Cernicchiaro, R.A. Moxley, and K.E. Wommack. 2016. Presence of pathogenic Escherichia coli is correlated with bacterial community diversity and composition on pre-harvest cattle hides. Microbiome, 4(1), p.1.
- K.E. Wommack, D.J. Nasko, J. Chopyk, E.G. Sakowski. 2015. Counts and sequences, observations that continue to change our understanding of viruses in nature. Journal of Microbiology, 53(3), 18192.